A Nautical Nursery in the WorksBefore I even was pregnant with baby #2, I thought that a nautical nursery would be super cute…boy or girl. So I started to pin away and bookmark sites with ideas. Then, Summer of 2013 comes around and everything is nautical. No way! From clothing to baby bedding, all I see are sailboats, anchors, and distressed wood. This was kind of cool but frustrating at times. I was excited to find prints and pillows and I added them to my personal wishlist so I wouldn’t forget. When I checked my list (even after a week), the items were sold out and not being replaced! I was bummed but managed to work my way around the bedding options.
I happened to find a lamp and really liked it. It was $50 which I didn’t think was a ridiculous amount to spend on a lamp. It was a simple lamp, with an anchor. Pretty much like this one but NOT at a price of $116!!
So, it dawned on me…what if I made my own lamp? That’s when I googled “DIY Nautical Lamp”. I came across a couple of choices that I really liked: This first one is from Vintage Lace and Vinyl. I like the lampshade and how the base is a bubble. I went to Joann’s and tried to find similar fabric for the shade but didn’t have any luck. I was a little disappointed but decided to try to find a lampshade that I liked “as is”.
Here is the second lamp option, from The Happy Housie. I figured a cylindrical base would be easier to work with and so I decided to give this one a go.
I set out on my journey to find everything I needed.
I got this lamp and shade from Walmart for ~$11. I went to Home Depot and ran into an employee who asked if I needed help with something. I explained that the lamp needed to be covered with a cylinder shape for a project. He said “Oh you mean like something like this packaging roll?” And he pointed to the tube in the picture (a freebie since he was just about to throw it out!). I said, “Yes!” and then he showed me where the rope was. I believe both of the bloggers from above mention sisal rope. I prefered the darker color of manila rope, and that’s what I went with. It cashed in at ~$6 for 50 feet.
I measured the tube and cut it with a knife–despite probably needing a saw–and used a hot glue gun to adhere the rope. Read the directions from the other two sites–I didn’t change a single thing–oh, I actually didn’t glue the cyclinder to the base first. I chose to work with it freely and glue it on the lamp base after I was done. When I was finished, it was clearly obvious that the lampshade from Walmart was too small. So off to Target I went. I ended up with this one for $12.99:
I didn’t go with a color or pattern (although tempted) because I thought there may still be a chance to cover it with fabric. You can’t really see it here but there is a tan webbing on the shade and it is actually really pretty. Matches the rope too.
Here is the finished product…
No joke, probably one of the easiest DIY projects I have ever done. The hardest part was cutting the tube. It was pretty thick! The cost to make this lamp was about $25 and I bet if you visited a thrift store you could find your lamp and shade for even less. I happened to have this starfish hanging around in some potpourri from my mom. I am really excited about this lamp. I think it will be perfect for our little boy’s nautical nursery.
Trackback from your site.